Skip to main content

ABOCODERS; The girl code

Misspuregold: Your name
Simi: Simi Olusola

Misspuregold:  Your background
Simi: Errm, background…….. Studied Physiology in UI, graduated in 2011. Been in the development sector since I was 13, started out as a volunteer and this was how I discovered my passion for development work.

Misspuregold:  How many businesses do you run
Simi: Well, I run an NGO, Aspilos Foundation which is the parent to AboCoders and I run a micro consulting operation.

Misspuregold: Do you have a 9-5 if no why
Simi:  Yes and no. I work as a project management/human capital development consultant and I also work as a copywriter. Both are 9-5 jobs but they are not conventional 9-5 still. The consulting one is not an everyday 9-5, it is part-time/project based while the other is a work from home job. 

Misspuregold: Tell us about abo coders and what's the main aim 
Simi: The main goal of AboCoders is the provision of secure and sustainable livelihoods for young ladies in Nigeria especially Northern Nigeria, using ICT training with an emphasis on software development as a means of empowerment with digital literacy and programming skills, these ladies have access to the all the opportunities & benefits of the digital world and can develop tech solutions for commercial purposes. AboCoders is set to increase communications and community access, improve the standard of education in Nigeria and widen the scope of educational paths available to young ladies as well as create more livelihood opportunities.
PROJECT OBJECTIVES
The objectives of the project are specifically:
• To encourage the interest of young Nigerian ladies in STEM fields
• To increase digital literacy in young ladies in Nigeria
• To increase female involvement in the creation of ICT solutions in Nigeria
• To create a community of highly competent female coders who can create secure & sustainable livelihoods
PROJECT ACTIVITIES
We run some specific activities in order to achieve the above stated objectives.
Through our in-centre training which trains ladies between 18 and 30 years and the school coding clubs we have set up which trains those between the ages of 14 and 18, we run the following activities:
1. Digital literacy training
2. Programming training
3. Financial literacy training
4. Life skills training
5. Business development training
6. Mentorship/internship scheme

Misspuregold: What inspired you to start abo coders?
Simi: I have always had a passion for development issues surrounding girls, women and children so usually you would find me doing one thing or the other in that regard. The idea for AboCoders specifically was inspired by Regina Agyare whom I met while volunteering in Ghana and who runs coding training for girls in Accra. When I met her back in 2014, I realised that I did not know a single female developer in Nigeria and decided I wanted to raise more females in that field in Nigeria using her model.

Misspuregold: Your role model?
Simi: None but there are a few women I admire. My mom, Mrs Ibukun Awosika and Chimamanda Adichie are some women I admire a lot

Misspuregold: Where do you see your abocoders in 5 years?
Simi: In 5 years, I see at least one AboCoders centre in 5 Northern states. We have one in Minna, Niger now and are working on Kaduna, Nasarawa now with plans for Kano and Jos later

Misspuregold: Challenges?
Simi: Funding and finding the right staff

Misspuregold: Relationship status & ( if in one ) how does it affect your business?
Simi: I am in a relationship, an LDR and it does not affect my work in any way

Mispuregold: Greatest accomplishment?
Simi: Founding a non-profit

Misspuregold:  Financial implications ( great, not great, getting better )?
Simi: Getting better sounds more like it. 2016 has been a tough year but God has had my back all the way

Misspuregold: Advice to other aspiring coders?
Simi: Coding is not as simple as ABC to learn but it is way easier than you think it is and all you need is interest and a good head on your neck plus some patience. Remember that coding is a universal tool and language that can bring you many benefits.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ABUJA FASHION HOUSE

So i'm going to be running a weekly post on fashion houses in Abuja........... We know the south south fashion "crase" is still on, that is why RnR Klothing has got you covered for both male and female............. Contact number: 07067668044 08051072016 Bbm:2BF6F22C Instagram:Rolex2soft Facebook.Rolex2soft Gmail. Rolex2soft@Gmail.com Address: Same Global Estate House Lokogoma Abuja Motto: Giving you this excellent &  exceptionally l ook you desire. Makers of all kind of native attire, Kaftan, Agbada, Senators, South south, danshiki, office shirts and Trouser. They also provide a 24 hours delivery

ADEKOLA EMMANUEL: More than just a photographer

It was my pleasure interviewing the charming and eccentric CEO OF KOLIMO MEDIA, it’s not just photography it’s a media change. Watch out for them, they are setting a standard for not just Nigeria but the world…… Misspuregold: Your name Adekola: Adekola Emmanuel Misspuregold:  Your background  Adekola: Born in lagos, lived and schooled in abuja, Finished from BAZE University Abuja, started as a graphic artist in 2010 built up my photography and videography skills, which were all self taught, worked in 3 media companies within my school years but after school which I always planned was to set up my own business. Also I'm 23 years old and also a sickle cell soldier. Misspuregold:  How many businesses do you run? Adekola: Currently just one which is Kolimo Multimedia, have plans to go into others in the future. Misspuregold: Do you have a 9-5 if no why? Adekola: I don't have a 9-5, because I have never seen myself working in one, I have tried that befo

Eat Drink Connect

One thing i love about Abuja, there is always something to do. Not busy this sunday and you have 1000 naira to spare don't miss this opportunity to network and chill. Have fun!!!!